What is Akropolis?
Akropolis is an end-to-end pensions & savings protocol that acts as a decentralised marketplace and data exchange for the pensions sector. Akropolis is designed to improve incentives and economic outcomes for all parties including individuals, pension funds, fund managers and regulators. It is designed to reduce cost, friction and risk, improve transparency and align incentives to serve the needs of consumers, and provide a sustainable parallel system that works along-side the global pensions system.
It is designed to:
- Quickly set-up, operate and grow informal autonomous financial organizations (AFOs) like digital co-ops, guilds, and mutuals — with no geographical limits;
- Connect AFOs to a previously impossible interoperable scalable network between them and external third parties, whereby value can be exchanged freely in a trust-minimized way (e.g. co-invest, lend/borrow, trade);
- Reduce instances of fraud and misuse of funds;
- Provide benefits of aggregation to users who would otherwise not be able to afford access to them.
How it works
Akropolis offers decentralized formations pensions funds and pensions. What does it mean? Having formed the fund of accruals of pension payments, you independently establish the moment when you want to pay your pensions. Such payments will be made in an internal token, which can be exchanged for other crypto-currencies or be exchange into real money.
All user functionality in Akropolis will be concentrated in personal profiles, access to which is protected from unauthorized access, theft or distortion of data on pension accruals, and investments, the status of tranzactions.
- The complexity of starting an autonomous financial organization (AFO)
- The geographic lottery of financial services availability
- Allowing trust-minimized exchanges of value between groups (digital co-ops, guilds, mutuals), as social trust is not scalable.
- Security, reliability, and transparency of informal financial organizations
- No bank account required
- DeFi integrations provide for a continuous savings rate
- No need for long-term lockups to receive interest — continuous interest payment
- Resistance to fraud or manipulation
- Provable solvency
- Ability to receive funds even if the organization dissolves or fails
- Scaling potential to co-operative bank model
- User incentives to grow the network, lower the cost of use and speed up the delivery of services
- Full funds ownerships in a trustless way: funds are stored in an on-chain ledger where only verified users with permissions have access to them
- Transparent, real-time, immutable financial record-keeping for every user — solving fraud and minimizing the misuse of funds through multi-signature fund deployment
- Programmable immutable smart-contracts that allow users to create automated financial algorithms. These algorithms implement the functionality of existing financial instruments and enable the creation of a large array of novel financial tools.
- Unbanked individuals and communities across the globe.
- Individuals are parties, under-served by the legacy financial system
- End-users — all network users, participating in at least one AFO.
- Autonomous Finance Organizations and their associations (Guilds). AFOs can be created as public or private. Each organization can have a legal entity, registered in any jurisdiction, but this is not a barrier of entry.
- The Guild is an association of AFOs, that is governed by members according to its constitution.
- Capital providers: this category comprises internal and external capital providers.
- Network keepers: token holders, participating in staking and governance processes. They are profit-seeking agents rewarded for correct risk assessments by receiving a network stability fee. End-users, capital providers, and external individuals can be network keepers.
The main issue that prevents the informal economy from scaling is the fact that AFOs are economically isolated from each other due to a lack of trust. The AKRO token design was introduced with the purpose to solve this problem and establish a trusted network amongst potentially adversarial parties.
The AKRO token was designed to solve the problem of network trust and enable network governance. At its core, it involves two processes: Community Trust –staking in favor of Guilds — and the Governance process.
The problem of mistrust is solved by using special staking mechanisms (Community trust). The staking process is designed to make fraudulent activity unprofitable and reward honest and reliable participants. The governance process is modelled largely on MakerDAO and designed to balance the interests of various actors in the network.
Using the OutlierVentures classification, the Akropolis token can be classified as a Network Token, combining the Work and Governance functionality. It provides the right to contribute work to a network and participate in the governance process. Its utility is derived from the decentralized coordination of token holders, as with Augur (REP), MakerDAO (MKR), Numeraire (NMR), and Livepeer (LPT). AKRO token has been modeled referencing MKR and LPT in particular as the network objectives are highly comparable.
Role and purpose: what is the token role?
AKRO token is classified as a Network Token, combining the Work and Governance functionalities. It provides functionality within the Akropolis network, and can be used to control the access to liquidity, provide governance functionality, and/or contribute capital to the network.
As such, the AKRO token is an essential element of the protocol internal economy and cannot be replaced by an external stablecoin. The token staking and governance approach requires a token whose value is connected to the current network and not tied to other projects and networks.
Other examples of network tokens with aligned objectives are those of Ocean Protocol, Fetch, and Ethereum.
The loans will be provided in known and reliable stablecoins, which will be further used to repay such loans and interest. AKRO will not be used for this purpose. AKRO tokens only serve to create an incentivization scheme for the interaction of different AFOs with each other. The implementation of this mechanism will be within the interoperability layer of our protocol. The interoperability layer’s main purpose is to enable AFOs to seamlessly and cheaply exchange value and data.
More information about AKRO token is available here:
“Ana is an experienced special situations investment professional with a strong interest in decentralization and blockchain. A regulated fund management professional and a board member of a regulated private equity fund, She is an Advisor to the Web3 Foundation, and she has analyzed and transacted over USD3.5bn and advised on over USD300mn of private equity and credit transactions. Ana is a business-builder, team-builder, technology and data obsessive, with particular strength in forensic analysis, seeing efficiencies and optimising processes. She’s passionate about individual empowerment and helping others fulfill their potential.”
“As a second hire in a fintech startup Cindicator that has gone to raise $15mn for its Hybrid Intelligence platform in September 2017, Kate was one of the authors of the Cindicator whitepaper and token model, whilst playing an instrumental role as a community manager in what was one of the most popular organic crowd sales. A testament to this is an ongoing native token support driven purely by a token distribution model and community engagement approach developed by the Cindicator team. As a Head of Analytics, she used her trading experience to develop a suite of research tools and methodologies for a new wave of crypto traders. At Akropolis, she is leading the operations and customer development.”
“Blockchain engineer, educator and a co-founder of St.Petersburg Ethereum meetup, Alex graduated with BSc Applied Mathematics and Computing Sciences and is a PhD (cand.) Machine Learning. He has 16 scientific publications focussing on natural language recognition and 10 commercially implemented applications to his name. Alex has both shipped product in fintech, banking, and gaming, and is passionate about educating the new generation of blockchain developers.”
“Bokky is a world-renowned blockchain and smart contract security expert, who rescues trapped ETH on a regular basis. Also an active Ethereum community leader, Bokky has been working on the ETH Blockchain since it’s platform launch in 2015. The prospect of transacting monetary value over a trusted Ethereum platform by means of smart contract is what excites him the most. Bokky is also a respected smart contract security auditor, having developed and audited smart contracts for over 20 companies, including Status, Cindicator, Stox and others. Bokky is an Actuary and Quantitative Software Developer with over 28 years of industry experience with expertise in fixed interest & derivatives in risk management and trading systems, and other blockchain technologies.”
“Peter is a fellow of the UK actuarial profession with a track record spanning over 30 years in DC pensions, life assurance, and asset management in developed and emerging economies.
He was involved in setting up new businesses in Germany, China and India where he also spent some time as a non-executive director of IDFC (the Infrastructure Development Finance Corporation). He then helped start up Vanguard Investments UK, arguably the most disruptive new venture in European asset management in many years.
Peter has been involved in the pension industry in Europe, Asia, and the USA in various capacities, including designing innovative and low cost solutions for UK DC pension investors, as an administrator of corporate and individual pension plans, and as a pension scheme trustee in the Eurozone and Asia.”
“Laura has a bachelor degree in Marketing, Communication and PR and more than ten years experience in marketing and business development. As Co-Founder and Head of Operations at Renowned&Co, she has helped many blockchain projects to successfully raise funds.”
AKRO trading on Atomars
About Atomars Exchange
Atomars exchange is a fast, secure and user-friendly digital assets trading platform launched in June 2019. Most of the popular cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and many more are available on the platform. Exchange features include Decentralized Private User Wallets, Quick Exchange, Enhanced User Portfolio, Market Barometer, Free Coins, Staking, VIP Accounts, OTC, Telegram Bot.